Friday, August 30, 2013

Ipomoea nil - Simplified "Bonsai" Plant Method

Via Flickr:
I am learning to make a "bonsai" type asagao plant, using what I think is variety 'Ukigomo' as my subject. This is a basic, simplified method which may yield 6 flowers all open about the same time on the plant, if I am lucky.

One should use the yellow leaf type asagao, as I have been told, because the distance between leaf nodes is short and ideal for a pruned plant.

I grew the plant out until there were seven leaves on the vine. I made the first cut of the vine by snipping the vine just above the sixth leaf. The arrow in the photo shows the cut vine.

As can be seen in the photo, secondary vines begin to grow from each leaf node. For this simplified method, I removed the secondary vines from leaf nodes 1, 2 and 6, leaving the secondary vines at leaf nodes 3, 4 and 5. Flower buds should develop on these secondary vines. Another cut will be made on the secondary vines in the near future. Stay tuned for further developments!