Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Starting seeds of Morning Glory

Via Flickr:
This view shows how I germinate and initially grow out the seeds. The cups are made from recycled plastic bottles, cut in half and labeled with the variety name or code number. I put a couple centimeters of dechlorinated water in the bottom of each cup. I nick the seed coat slightly, enough so I can see the whitish endosperm, and then drop the seed into the water to soak for 6 to 8 hours. The seed is placed into water-moistened folded paper toweling then put into the cup as can be seen in the photo. Keep the cup in a warm place out of direct sunlight until the seed germinates and makes a nice sized seed root. I usually pot on the seedling once the cotyledons begin to expand and it is easy to remove the seed coat. Keeping the paper towel vertically is handy because the seed root grows between the paper towel folds rather than into the paper towel, thus making it very easy to remove the seedling.