Saturday, March 30, 2013

Quick Vermicompost Tea

Quick Vermicompost Tea by Gerris2
Quick Vermicompost Tea, a photo by Gerris2 on Flickr.

Via Flickr:
Today I made some quick compost tea out of fresh worm castings. In a 5 gallon bucket I placed about 5 inches of fresh castings out of my worm bin. I then added about 4 gallons of dechlorinated water, swirled it around with a stick to break up the clumps. I then put the liquid portion of the mixture into all my indoors plant pots using a turkey baster. The volume varied with the size of the pot. The worm castings are teeming with beneficial microbes and the idea of using the worm poop tea was to increase the beneficial microbial population in the plant root zone. I took a basic composting class from soil scientist Dr. Elaine Ingham last week and wanted to put some of the useful information I learned into action.